During the 2nd and 3rd decades of the 20th Century a number of pictures were given or acquired to beautify the church. Most of them are still in situ.
Pius X East of south porch.
Pope Pius X
St. Edward the Confessor South aisle - east side of pier adjacent to sacristy. Given in 1914
St. Edward the Confessor
Sacred Heart North aisle - 5th bay. A good friend presented to the Church a beautiful picture of the Sacred Heart. (Quarterly Paper, July 1931, page 19.)
Our Lady of Perpetual Help North aisle - east end.
Our Lady of Perpetual Help
Veil of St. Veronica North aisle - 6th bay. (Vera Effigies Sachi Vultus Domini Nostri Jesu Christi) This copy of the Veil of Veronica has touched the original, also the Holy Shear and Relics of the True Cross preserved in Rome at the Basilica of St. Peter. It was set up in this church in memory of Elizabeth Annie Bannister who died 30th September 1933.
Veil of St. Veronica
Madonna Above Lady Chapel Altar. Reproduction of the Sistine Madonna by Raphael Sanzio.
Crucifixion St. Thomas of Canterbury Chapel - north wall adjacent to the altar. By Perugino. In memory of Daisy Williams.
Martyrdom of St. Thomas à Becket St. Thomas of Canterbury Chapel - west side of pier. From the painting on Henry IV’s Tomb at Canterbury Cathedral.
Martyrdom of St. Thomas à Becket
The Marriage of the Virgin North ambulatory - facing St. Thomas of Canterbury Chapel. From a fresco by Pietro Perugino in the ex-convent of St. Girolamo near Spello. Copied by Signor Fattorini. Chromolithographed by the Société Lemercier, Paris.
The Marriage of the Virgin
Christ Bound to the Column South aisle - under gallery. After the fresco by Bazzi now in the Academy of Fine Arts Siena, from a water colour drawing by Herr Kaiser. Chromolithographed by Wilhelm Greve, Berlin. Arundel Society - First Publication 1889.
Christ Bound to the Column
Jésus Crucifié South ambulatory - facing chancel. Histore de Jésus-Christ. Enseigenment par les yeux. Pl. XXI Eug. Ronj at lith. d’apres Rubens. Hachette & Cie Paris Imp. Fraillery & Cie Paris. “Ile le crucifièrent e deux autres avec lui, l’un d’un côté, et l’autre, et Jésus au milieu.”
The Deposition South ambulatory - second pier, facing west. After the picture by Paulo Morando (Cavazzola) in the Municipal Museum at Verona, Drawn by Kaiser. Chromolithographed by Wilhelm Greve, Berlin. Arundel Society - Second Publication 1891.
The Adoration of the Lamb South ambulatory - on north side, below second arch. From the centre panel of the Altar piece, painted by the brothers Van Eyck in the Cathedral of St. Bavon. Drawn and chromolithographed by C. Schultz, printed by Hangard-Mauge. Arundel Society, First Annual Publication 1868.
The Adoration of the Lamb
Joseph with Child Jesus In Lady Chapel on east wall. Origin unknown.
Joseph with Child Jesus
Madonna and Child West wall - above gallery steps. Origin unknown. Dedication:- To the greater glory of God and to the beloved memory of my husband Edward James Bennett. Organist of this church 1917 - 1924. Called to higher service April 26th 1924. Aged 34. RIP
Madonna and Child
Baptism of Christ Whereabouts unknown. A painting by Dowling of the Baptism of Christ which hung in the “Academy” of 1872, the gift if Mrs. Light. (Monthly Paper - July 1920, page 6.)
St. Francis preaching before Pope Honorius III Whereabouts unknown. An Arundel Print after Giotto’s picture. Frame is in Italian 16th century style. Presented by Mrs. Herford as a votive offering for her son Francis at the front (Monthly Paper, February 1915, page 5)
St. Francis Whereabouts unknown. Mr. William A. Battersby of Bournemouth left St. Silas in his will a delightful old painting of St. Francis to be placed in the Chapel. (Monthly Paper - October November 1920, page 7.)
St. Francis and St. Dominic Whereabouts unknown. Presented by Miss Beatty for St. Francis Chapel. (Monthly Paper - September 1915)