Church of the Holy Trinity, Hartland Road, Haverstock Hill
Report from “The Illustrated London News” – October 19, 1850
This Church, situated in the parish of St Pancras, was consecrated on Tuesday last by the Lord Bishop of London, in the presence of a very large assemblage of people. It is situated in the parish of St Pancras, and is the third of the twenty district churches which its present esteemed rector, the Rev. Mr. Dale, hopes to see erected in his present overgrown parish. This church is constructed to accommodate 1426 persons, of which 856 will be in free and unappropriated seats. The district assigned to it has a population of 10,000 persons (most of whom are poor). The claims of this vast number of persons urged on the earliest possible provision of church and school accommodation. The Vicar (the Rev. David Laing), and a local committee, succeeded in securing contiguous sites, both for the Church and School, in the very centre of the district. To save time (each day still seeing souls passing into eternity), a contract was at once taken for the School building, to be to be immediately raised in shell, and used temporarily as a chapel for six hundred persons, whilst the funds were raised for the permanent Church. This was done; the Chapel was speedily filled, and has ever since been used as a temporary church. And now the end seems to be in view; a house of prayer is now consecrated, and ready to receive nearly 1500 souls. The means of sound teaching are prepared for 800 children; and Visiting, Provident, and Maternity Societies have been establish; but the Vicar and committee, in order to accomplish these objects, have been obliged to incur a debt, which, after the payment of the grants and subscriptions promised will not be less than £4,000, and for which they have made themselves personally responsible. It is much to be hoped that their fellow Christians will not let them suffer for their zeal.
The Church is dedicated to the “Holy Trinity” and is built with Swanage stone and Bath stone dressings. It is of “middle pointed” character, and consists of a western tower, nave, north and south aisles, chancel, and north porch. The extreme length within the walls is 124 feet, the breadth 66 feet, and the height, to the top of the spire, 160 feet. The Church is of admirable character in design, and the interior is particularly effective. The open roof is stained to imitate oak, as are the seats, the galleries, &c. These latter are set back from the pillars separating the nave from the aisles, and the general appearance of the nave is thus not interfered with. The chancel, as may be seen by our Illustration, is of charming and novel design, the numerous aches producing, to use an artistic phrase, a pleasing and elegant play of lines. From the great deficiency of funds the fittings are of the simplest character, the pulpit being the one actually used in the school, or temporary church. It is to be hoped, however, that the liberality of individuals well soon enable the committee to replace them by others more suited to the size and importance of the Church. As a commencement, Mr. Gibbs, of Harmood Place, has presented the centre compartment of the five light east window of painted glass, of rich and appropriate design and in excellent taste. The architects have given the font.
The organ, placed on the south side of the chancel, is of very sweet and powerful tone. This is a Grade II organ in recognition of it being an interesting instrument containing substantial material by Messrs. Bevington and Sons, of Greek Street, Soho.
Messrs Wyatt and Brandon are the architects of this fine church; and Messrs. T. and W. Piper, the builders. The total outlay, including site and enclosures, will be upwards of £10,000.