Stained Glass>
S. Cecilia
Above the organ gallery is a stained glass window depicting S. Cecilia, in memory of Georgiana Sophia Whittingham. Below the figure are the words ‘Veni Accipe Coronam’ - ‘Come receive your crown’ set to plainsong. S. Cecilia is playing a hand-held pipe organ behind which sits an angel. Two further angels look down on S. Cecilia. This window is said to have been executed by a well-known stained-glass artist. (Monthly Paper, January 1916, pages 6 and 8).
His monogram, a rare feature, is to be found under the figure of S. Cecilia and authenticates the artist as Henry Victor Milner.
S. Cecilia by Henry Victor Milner
S. Cecilia by Henry Victor Milner
Monogram of Milner
Monogram of Milner
Madonna & Child
In the gallery on the south side of the west wall is a stained glass window of the Madonna and Child and beneath this is a small panel depicting the Annunciation. This window was presented by a member of the congregation and dedicated on Easter Day, April 4th 1915. (Monthly Paper, April 1915, page 4).
Madonna & Child
and Annunciation
Madonna & Child and Annunciation
Archangel Michael
Within the Chapel of S. George there is a stained glass window (invisible from the body of the church) of the Archangel Michael with a naked kneeling figure being weighed in a balance. Above the figure of S. Michael is a trumpeting angel and an entwined scroll with the words “We praise thee O God”. It was probably designed by Henry Victor Milner.
Archangel Michael
Archangel Michael
Hope - Spes
Above the confessional area is the figure of  ‘Hope’ - 'Spes', with the title ‘Laus Deo’. Hope is seen here tip-toeing through daffodils and looking heavenward. Was this window originally meant to be part of the theme of Faith Hope and Charity? Window by Louis Davis.
Hope by Louis Davis
Hope by Louis Davis
S. Francis & S. Clare

On Sunday June 11th, 1915 the Bishop of Willesden dedicated three stained glass windows in S. Francis Chapel. They were presented by two members of the congregation, one of whom was the artist of the windows. (Monthly Paper, June 1915). The window depicting San Francesco (S. Francis of Assisi) shows him holding an open book and in the panel below there is a shield containing a crucifix surrounded by angel wings. The other main window depicts Santa Chiara (S. Clare) holding an open book and a crozier and in the panel below there is a shield showing a chalice and host surrounded by an areola. These windows are from the workshop of Henry Victor Milner. He insisted that the figures were in grey habits and so used grey glass, as he had read that in Italy this was the colour used by the Franciscans. Also the grey glass was in harmony with the other colours.

In the roof of the chapel is an oculi which has a window depicting seven identical angels.

Seven angels
Seven angels
S. Francis of Assisi
S. Francis of Assisi
S. Clare
S. Clare
Henry Victor Milner (1866 - 1944)
Henry Victor Milner
Henry Victor Milner

Henry Milner was born in Hampstead in 1866
Milner lived in Haverstock Hill with a workshop attached to his house, situated opposite the Dominican Priory. His work was very much in the style of the Gothic Revival. He had also worked with Burlison & Grylls. Michael Kerney reports that, in his investigations through 'Builder' and 'The Building News', Milner was invariably used by Temple Moore in his churches and there seem to be few independent commissions by Milner recorded. Milner’s glass is noted in many churches (or restorations) by Moore between 1887 and 1908.
Walter Leach, who worked for Milner until 1944, describes him as a wonderful man and considered by many in the stained glass world to be the best craftsman of his day. Walter Leach says that he always felt that it was an honour to work for him and considers that he was treated more like a son than an employee.
Although crippled by arthritis, Milner attended S. Silas Church in a wheelchair until he moved to live in the countryside near Whipsnade. Milner only used the best glass and his work can often be distinguished by his use of dark purple glass, as seen in our windows. Reliable information has revealed that the reredos and canopy of the Chapel of Saint Thomas of Canterbury was also designed and executed by Henry Victor Milner, as was the panel on the front of the Lady Chapel Altar. Milner studied the script used on the tomb of Richard II in Westminster Abbey and used that style for the reredos. Acknowledgement to Walter Leach for details of the life of Henry Victor Milner.

Other stained glass windows by Milner can be found at:-
Minster Church of All Saints, Dewsbury, West Yorkshire. It is a three lancet window depicting the first three Bishops of York, Chad, Paulinus and Wilfred.
All Saints, Oval Way, Gerrards Cross, Buckinghamshire (1912-13) by Temple Moore.
St Mary, Sledgmere, East Yorkshire (1893-8) by Temple Moore.
St James, Bramley, Hampshire. A three light window dated 1887. Also a triptych behind the altar painted in 1885.
St Mary St Giles & All Saints, Canwell, Staffordshire.
St Matthew, Ponders End, Enfield, Middlesex.
St Peter & St Paul, Kimpton, Herts.
St John the Baptist, Great Amwell, Herts.
St Mary, Primrose Hill, London.
All Saints, Tooting (Graveney), London.
St Augustine, Gillingham, Kent.
St Mary, Hendon, London.

Louis Davis (1861 - 1941)
Louis Davis was brought up in Oxfordshire. In the 1880’s he was an illustrator with the English Illustrated Magazine and later became a popular designer of prints which were published by the Fitzroy Picture Society and the Medici Society. In about 1890 he met Christopher Whall and lodged with him in his house in Dorking. At this time he began to learn the techniques of glass painting.
One of his first commissions, in 1900, was for the east window for Littlemore Church, Oxfordshire. His most important work is a scheme of glazing (1913 onwards) for the Lady Chapel of Dunblane Cathedral. He also did armorial windows in the Thistle Chapel at S. Giles’ Cathedral, Edinburgh and made several windows for Colmonell Church in Ayrshire. There are also windows in Cheltenham (Boys’) College Chapel commissioned in 1919 and 1920. Another Chapel to benefit from his work was at Heathfield School, Ascot. Churches which include his work are S. Anselm, Hatch End, S. John the Baptist, Pinner, All Saints, Long Stanton, Cambs. and S. Mary the Virgin, Kelvedon, Essex.
He had a house and studio built for himself in Pinner at the turn of the century. Davis worked with James Powell & Sons. In 1915 he was injured by gas when the pilot light in his house blew. This left him somewhat impaired, with certainly a speech impediment and probably the occasional need for a wheelchair. This may be the reason why he worked from quarter-size cartoons for his windows. For some time he was associated with the stained glass artist Karl Parsons.
Acknowledgement to Nicholas Lowton, Cheltenham College Chapel for details of the life of Louis Davis.
Home Page Charity No Contacts Location This Week's Services
Royal Visit - Feb 2012 May Devotions 2012 Corpus Christi 2012 Solemn Vespers 2012 S. Silas Day 2012
Solemn First Vespers Solemn Centenary Mass Centenary Requiem 2012 Guidebook & Postcards Maundy Thursday Cards
Society of Mary Church History Vintage Pictures Exterior Chancel & Sanctuary
Interior Chapels & Altars Statues & Shrines Stained Glass Sacristy
The Music & the Organs Organists Christmas Card 2014 Past Events Epiphany 2003
Flowers S. Silas Churches Prayer Stations of the Cross Pillar Banners
Pictures Nina Somerset Benjamin C. Boulter Mystery Plays The Rosary
Organisations Who is Saint Silas? S. Silas, Apostle Priests of S. Silas Latin Inscriptions
Monthly Papers 100 Years Ago Ernest C. Shearman Shearman Churches Shearman Biography
Hymns to S. Silas S. Silas Day Flowers Banners War Memorial Benefactors
Recordings at S. Silas Holy Trinity Holy T. Sunday School South Camden Deanery Charles Williams
TS Eliot Illustrated Souvenir Link Churches Friends of S. Silas St Silas - Blackburn
S. Silas - Gembrook St Silas - Byker S. Silas - Albert Park S. Silas Balwyn North St Silas, Redwood, NZ
Novena to St. Silas Museo Guinigi, Lucca Elmhurst Ballet School St Silas Icons Camden's Lost Churches
20 years @ S Silas Talking to God Images of S Silas London Churches
Saint Silas Church, Kentish Town, London, NW5.